Friday, August 1, 2008

Agile Estimating & Planning Class - Completed

Ok, so now where do I go. I just praised Bryan and Chris for having the best IT related class I've ever been in and now I've just completed another class which is just as good, if not better. But to tell you all that would make me seem well....

OK, so how to describe the Agile Estimating & Planning Class?

First the class is for more "advanced" scrum users. Or better said, people in this class are much more likely to have done scrum and have a higher probability to understand the basics of scrum. Makes the class a lot easier.

Why go to this class after CSM and CSPO. After all planning and estimating are covered in every scrum class out there. At least is was covered in both my CSM and CSPO classes in some level of depth anyway. I guess about 1 - 2 hours in the other classes. This is much more immersive in nature. 8 full hours to take in the concepts. And WELL WORTH IT. I'm a firm believer that a lot of the success of scrum in in the nuances of the process. 1 hour in a scrum class just isn't enough to get into the nuances. 8 hours gives you a much greater foundation.

For me this class related more info that I haven't grasped out of the books like I had the CSM and CSPO classes. I won't go into detail about what I learned now. Later as I have a chance think it out some.

The real strength of this class can be attributed 100% to Mike Cohn's obvious deep level understanding of the material and a high energy passion for the subject. One of the other students said it well. "Class literally flew by". We were on our lunch break before I realised it. And I mean, I thought we still had 2 hours before break time.

For me, most of what we learn in Agile/Scrum is just common sense, and in a lot of ways I've been "Agile by Accident" for a very long time. But what I've always struggled with was how to estimate software projects. I know the old ways, and I know they fail miserably. So in the end, I really haven't ever (or almost never) have been willing to waste the time. Now I have a complete tool kit around how to estimate, and estimate with solid accuracy.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS CLASS FOR ANYONE WHO IS SERIOUS ABOUT IT AND BUSINESS GETTING ALONG.

No comments: