Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Who Am I

OK so who am I? Husband, father of 2 great kids, oh and ya, a software developer. I started writing software in '76 in collage as a result of the fact I was required to take foreign languages for graduation. And in the foreign language department the first two languages were COBOL and FORTRAN.

After collage I spent just under 10 years in the Air Force in combat logistics and combat operations. Programming was still more hobby than anything, but with a computer background and interest I got pinned to do some interesting things with the deployment of new computer systems. The first use of a computer to pro grammatically plan cargo loads for aircraft in a forward base was done during the Grenada Invasion. This was no small thing for us. Creating a load plan by hand was 30-45 minute deal, depending on which airplane you were load planning for. The computer brought it down to about 5 minutes. And yours truly was the first deploy with, and use it. Also I wrote the program we used to schedule out the equipment and personnel for deployments. Probably the first "paid" gig was the handicap system I wrote for the base golf course. "Payment" was a set of persimmon woods.

After the Air Force, I went into Heavy Highway construction, and still carry a General Engineering License in California. Again, programming was more hobby than anything. For the company I wrote more scheduling apps and helped to usher in computers for accounting.

In about 1990 or so i went out on my own and started a small computer consultancy that specialized in construction companies. During this time I helped a lot of small construction companies with their computer needs, and wrote "The Estimator". Estimating and Bidding software for Engineering companies.

Within a year or so I started to take on programming contracts. Between '90 and '01 I took contracts with:

  • Hewlett Packard
  • Gateway
  • Jenny Craig
  • International Rectifier
  • DVI (now part of Abbott)

In '01 I went to work for full time for IR and have been with them ever since.

I've bored you enough for now. Next I'll run down languages, and such.

No comments: